16 Top Tips To Tune Your Writing Skills
Following on from the article Ten Writing Errors That Makes Your Blog Less Good, I want to look at some more writing tips.
Writingclasses.com lists George Orwell’s 12 Writing Tips, some key points include:
- What am I trying to say?
- Could I put it more shortly?
- Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?
- Never use a long word where a short one will do.
- If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
- Using i.e or e.g correctly – The term i.e. means “that is”; e.g. means “for example.” And a comma follows both of them.
Words Words Words looks at The Top Ten Tips for Improving Your Writing (dead link), some of the highlights include:
- Before you can be a writer, you must be a reader.
- Know your audience.
- Simple is better.
- Don’t listen to your friends, listen to your critics.
- Write what you know.
Vandelay Design discusses 10 Keys to Effective Writing for the Web:
- Use headings and sub-headings.
- Use short paragraphs.
- Include links in the article.
Daily Writing Tips looks at 10 Rules for Writing Numbers and Numerals:
- Spell small numbers out.
- Don’t start a sentence with a numeral.