Found this nice infographic over at Mostash.com. It outlines the true impact of WordPress on the content-driven WWW. The market share of WordPress is amazing, especially when you add both self-hosted and WordPress.org sites. There’s also some very interesting history of WordPress represented here.
Advantages of Tumblr
- Social networking aspects – Tumlbr makes connecting via social media sites very easy
- simplicity – Tumblr is very much an open and blog platform aimed at those that don’t want to know the guts of what is going on behind the scenes.
- Easy management from your phone – The iPhone Tumblr app is much better than the wordpress one.
- Can have you own domain – Tumblr still hosts it though….you can’t actually take your content else where like you can with a self hosted wordpress install.
Advantages of WordPress
- The ability to be self-hosted – This is big. It costs, but means you actually have complete control of your content.
- Large community with lots of addons & customization – The amount of free and premium WordPress themes and plugins is amazing. There is so much functionality in this regard.
- Great for SEO – Because WordPress gives you more control over your platform, you can seriously optimize every aspect of your blog, from URL structure, meta tags, pinging, and internal links, right down to theme structure.
Reasons to use Tumblr
- The thought of setting up and paying for hosting doesn’t appeal to you.
- You want to be blogging right now, and you don’t want to worry about the technical side of things, you just want to get your thoughts out there, so others can connect.
Reasons to use WordPress
Obviously we are big fans of WordPress here at Pingable, we are a wordpress blog, and we blog about wordpress related content. However, that doesn’t mean we won’t recommend another platform if we thinks it’s better. Wordpress is going to be the better platform for most blogging professional, and business bloggers. It gives you more control, and you own your content. Tumblr however, is probably a better platform for those looking for simplicity. It’s a great platform for beginners, and those of us less technology minded.