These are the top 10 reasons why this site is powered by WordPress.
- WordPress is freely distributed under the GPL license. This is a big deal. It is not that we’re cheap, it’s the idea and philosophy behind open source software that we like.
- Every WordPress release complies with the latest web standards. We all have standards, right? Why shouldn’t the internet? Read more about web standards here.
- With some estimates at 2% of all websites using WordPress, there is a massive network of developers working on it. Releases are pushed out constantly, suggesting the code is always up to date.
- There is a vast network of theme creators, plugin developers and other folks who love WordPress.
- It is a lightweight, simple, aesthetically pleasing software package.
- Themes are easy to create and customize.
- There is a plugin for just about anything.
- Compared to other CMS’, WordPress is the best blogging platform because that is why it was originally developed (see WordPress.com).
- The founder seems really cool. (Ma.tt)
- It is an open community that welcomes newbies and advanced users alike.
- A bonus: Some major companies have chosen WordPress including Martha Stuart, Ebay and the New York Times. I only say this because it suggests businesses with vast resources and staff choose the free and easy software.
If you’ve got your own reasons for using WordPress, please leave them as a comment below!
Post image from Lex’s Blog