If you’re reading this post we can be sure of two things. First, you love WordPress too. Second, you have experienced other content management systems and thus, know WordPress beats them all. These are (just some of) the reasons WordPress is the only choice for managing a blog, a community, or a business online.
- easy to learn.
- constantly updated.
- fully supported.
- easy to theme.
- ready out of the box.
- can be updated automatically.
- can be extended easily.
- is SEO friendly.
These are the features we would absolutely love to see in the next stable release of WordPress. Of course, being that this site is dedicated entirely to WordPress, we love the simple blogging platform as-is. But there is always room to grow.
- Line markers in the theme editor. – Sometimes it’s easier and faster to edit your theme code through the built-in editor rather than using an FTP client. But a line count would be very helpful.
- A search feature in the theme editor. – the old Ctrl+F technique sometimes works depending on browser, but would be great to have a built in, AJAX powered search function in the next release.
- Database tools in the dashboard. – This could be dangerous for those who like to tinker with database tables, but direct access to the DB within the dashboard would save lots of steps for a WordPress admin.
- More Ping/update tools. – WordPress can notify update services when you post, but further control around this feature would be helpful.
- Theme tag control. – This is a tall order, but the ability to customize various template/theme tags like the excerpt tag would be great! For example, it would be nice to be able to change the excerpt word limit on the fly.
What are you hopes and dreams for the next WordPress release? Add them as a comment below.