There is a lot to consider when looking for WordPress hosting for your site. Of course, you don’t have to self-host your site as outlined in this post on How to Install WordPress. If you do choose to self-hosted WordPress Hosting, you’ll need a hosting provider. However, not all hosts are created equal and there are a number of parameters that need to be considered. WordPress.org has a hosting suggestion page which currently includes:
If you choose to look further than the WordPress sponsored hosting partners, use the following criteria to make your selection.
Meet the basic server requirements
Many hosts meet the minimum requirements for hosting WordPress, but not all. They include:
- PHP version 4.3 or greater although version 5.2 is recommended
- MySQL version 4.1.2 or greater although version 5.2 is recommended
- Mod_rewrite Apache module
- A Linux based platform with either Apache or NGINX
The official WordPress Hostingrequirements page suggests sending an email to hosts you are considering working with to make sure they meet the requirements.
That’s all WordPress.org has to say. We have more suggestions when searching for a host.
- Peruse the forums and see what kind of support is given. Dead threads and complaining customers is a big red flag.
- Look for 24/7 support, an indication the host is dedicated to the business they’re in.
- Live chat support is a big help and suggests the host is there to help and backs up their service
- Give them a test. Send a pre-sales support question – maybe asking how their servers meet the WordPress hosting requirements and note the response time and tone of their response.
We don’t mean to be design snobs, but if a web host can’t even manage their own website, how can they be expected to support you in managing your own?
Does the web host have advertisements, unrelated text links or skeezy operations meant to build links but not necessarily customers? These are all signs of a host that is not operating ethically.
Hosting other WordPress sites
Look at your favorite WordPress powered blogs and use this tool to find out who’s hosting them.
Look for these key features
- They offer one-click WordPress installation like Fantastico
- They offer unlimited MySQL databases (for running lots of WordPress sites)
- They support WordPressMu (just ask them)
- They support AJAX
Based on everything, we recommend these hosts in addition to the ones listed above: